1 Bible verse, 2 thoughts, and 3 questions to help us be mindful of our souls throughout the week. Let’s embark on this mindful journey together!
10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Matthew 5:10-12 KJV
- We do not usually think or feel that we are “blessed” when we are in the midst of persecution or trials. In fact, it feels very much the opposite of blessed. But, Jesus says to rejoice when persecuted. There are so many blessings to receive because of persecution for righteousness’ sake: it can make us stronger, more faithful, more bold, more stable, more confident to speak the truth, more loving and empathetic to others going through difficult circumstances, more resolved, etc. Personally, I want to go to heaven, and I know if I speak the truth, staying grounded in my faith, then I will get the reward promised to me. Say this when you are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: “Those who revile me and lie about me because I stand for the truth only make me stronger and more dedicated. I can rejoice in my persecution because it is for Christ. The truth will win, and liars are losers.” Now, that’s a powerful promise from above.
- Jesus always spoke the truth. The majority of the people who heard it, hated Him for it to the point that they tortured and killed Him. At one point, every one rejected Him. That did not stop Him from fulfilling His purpose. If you speak the truth, you may find yourself in difficult situations where people don’t really like you, they may lie about you, they may do things to attempt to bring you down. Take comfort in knowing that Jesus has been there, and rejoice to share in His sufferings.
- Can you think of others in scripture who went away rejoicing when they were persecuted?
- How do you react when receiving opposition for speaking the truth and standing up for righteousness?
- What steps can you take to remind yourself to rejoice because you are in good company with Jesus?
Subscribe on Substack to get these devotionals directly in your email. Download the Substack app to have a real time chat about these questions!Subscribe on Substack